Labels

Friday, September 26, 2014

Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel




Insiders know that Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel is one of the best values in Zinfandel you can find.  We just let you in on the inside, your welcome!
2013 Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel....$26.99

From Morgan Twain-Peterson, owner and winemaker
"For me, Zinfandel needs to straddle a spot between opulence and brightness, spice, and perfume. It should be powerful but have a certain elegance. The greatest examples I have had have weight but dance. And this is what I am looking for my Zinfandel’s to do: they need to do an Aztec two-step (to riff-off Ferlinghetti), they should jitterbug with perfume (to jig a bit of Tom Robbins); they should be more Brigitte Bardot than Catherine Deneuve (to steal from any number of people that slept with Bardot when she was underage by current American standards); they should be sultry, sprightly, and sexy. And most importantly, they should ooze soul-satisfying deliciousness.

To achieve this I focus almost exclusively on ancient vines grown in great sites. I am a proponent of dry-farming, organic viticulture when possible—sustainable at the very least, picking at reasonable ripeness, the use of native yeasts, fermentation to dryness, manual punchdowns, limited racking, and a moderate dose of really good, tight-grained, French oak. With all my wines, I value perfume and dexterity over excessive ripeness, I believe deeply in that much bandied about term “balance.” With Diane Kenworthy, from Sunbreak Vineyard Services, and one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to old Zinfandel, I try to farm as many vineyards as I can to ensure that I am fully to blame for the results :-)

As of harvest 2010, I am incredibly pleased to receive fruit from the following vineyards for Zinfandel (some go into the Sonoma Valley Old-Vine, a few will be vineyard-designated when he combination of year and quality coincide).

Stellwagen Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (planted 1890’s, and includes many mixed blacks and some Semillon)
Von Weidlich Vineyard, Russian River Valley (planted 1930’s)
Monte Rosso Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (1880’s)
Puccini Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (1906)
Lasseter Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (1919)
Scatena Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (1930’s)
Bedrock Vineyard, Sonoma Valley (1880’s)
Lorenzo’s Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley (1900’s)"

No comments: